Friday, May 5, 2006

An unexpected E-Mail

Evidently not everyone is as scrupulous as Steve and I. An email from the Pard District coordinator entitled "Some Concerns"

Dear Majors Coaches,

I am little concern about some of the rules that are being blatantly ignored by some of the coaches. The Park District creates these rules in order to create an equal playing field for all players. Please remember that the emphasis is not on winning or losing but that they are learning and having fun.

First of all, there is NO PROFANITY allowed whatsoever. In addition, there should be NO NEGATIVE comments made towards the players. The Highland Park community as well as the Park District participates in the Character Counts program. Some coaches are not leading by example. If I should receive information that a coach is yelling at his players for losing, swearing at players during games and/or practices, or being negative and placing the emphasis on winning, I will be calling you in for a meeting. All coaches signed a Code of Conduct regarding this type of behavior. Is not warranted.

Secondly, I have noticed that coaches are not substituting their players correctly. All players must sit out once before another player sits out for a second time in a row. I ask that prior to the game both teams must show their line up sheets to one another. If the opposing coach catches the other team doing this, I ask that you notify the field supervisor immediately. I will not tolerate children being sat twice before another player sits out once. The field supervisors will be directed to contact me, if I am not at the field.

Thirdly, prior to the start of the game as well, you must show the opposing team your batting order from the previous game. This shouldn’t be a problem since it is in your score book. Your lead off batter for the game should be the next batter after the last out of the previous game. Again, if a team has a line up that is changed from the previous game, I ask that the opposing coach, call over the field supervisor so that I may be contacted.

Finally, as you all may have noticed, there are no standings being kept. I will not be posting any standings since they do not count. The playoffs are a blind draw. It is not based upon your seeding. Please consider this to be my final reminder to you about the rules of the league. If you are found to be ignoring the rules, we will deal with that coach accordingly. As a coach, your goal is not to emphasis winning but emphasis good sportsmanship, fair play and having fun.

I'm kind of sad about the standings thing as it means I have to keep pumping kids for information in order to find out the strength of our opposition so we can know things like what pitchers to use. I find it interesting that the no side practice thing didn't make the email. I've never seen Libby write an email like this, so she must be really pissed.

No comments: