Monday, January 1, 2007

Reader Response

Reader topdawguga writes
Congrats on what seems like a great season thus far. I followed the link from your posting at coachingyouthbasketball.net over here. It's interesting to see what you're going through as my son plays on a brand new competitive fourth grade team. In our area, there are a number of teams that have already been playing together for two or three years - and that pull from a pretty big tryout area. Suffice it to say, we aren't doing as well as you guys are. But, we're coming along and will hopefully get there. Enjoy the holiday and good luck on the rest of your season.


Sorry for the slow response. I can't even imagine a 4th grade team that's been together for two or three years. Seems wrong, frankly. In many ways I think 4th grade is even pushing the envelope for travel teams and why I'm glad Gordie and Lucas play in house league as well. I hope you guys continue to experience success and that you've had a nice holiday season.

Reader Wade Moore writes
Do you think in the long run the loss will be a good thing or a bad thing?


This was going to be a major focus of the last entry before I got sick and my perspective changed a bit on it. I really think it's a good thing, in the long run. Normally I'm very depressed after losing, whether we're out classed or it's a game we could have won on a different day. In this case I think it'll do a lot to help tone down the sense of invulnerability. I want my team to play without fear, but I also want them to work hard doing it. The need to work hard was sort of getting lost and this will be a good reminder of why we need to work hard. Jack M has given me a hard time for saying a couple times, when talking about up coming games, "Win or lose, we will leave with our heads held high." And then this game he gave me a hard time for believing that we had a chance even late in the game. I mean that's part of Jack, he'll always be looking for a reason to be upset to a certain extent, but it does show that I was being hopelessly pessimistic when I talk about win or lose. I'd think this was even more of a positive thing if we'd been able to convert the energy into a couple of good practices and a solid win rather than have winter break upon us.

Reader timmae writes:
great read... keep it up. Your thought about each of the kids adds to the depth and I am sure helps you out as you proceed through the season.

So true. There have been numerous times both with this and baseball where the blog itself has really helped me clarify thoughts. I really like kids as well which is why I make it a point to give some time to each of the players because it's my love of them and the game that make me enjoy coaching so much.

Timmae further wrote
As far as the video... aren't any of the parents taking video of the kids? Seems like there may be one or 2 that would be..

Especially in the area we're in, where everybody likely has a digital camcorder (or two) you'd think this, but I haven't seen anybody do this yet.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

No comments: